The Palace of Hate is the fourth level of The Elder World. True to its name, it is a fairly large palace consisting of several larger hallways downstairs and many narrower corridors upstairs, which can be confusing for an inexperienced player. The building's central area is a large cavernous chamber filled with Water.
The player must search for the Silver Key in order to proceed. This level brings back the Rotfish. This level has long corridors accessed from a central room that can cause players to get lost. There are many Fiends in this level, and this level also has an exclusive Hazard, the Guillotine.
A special pool of Water is called the Healing Pool. This is because of seven 25 Health located under the Water, unseen to the player in the vanilla game. When the Healing Pool is depleted the message "You have drained the healing pool of all its power." will be displayed.
Quick Level Completion
- Go up the ramp and into the large room to the right.
- Enter the corridor on the left side of the room.
- Follow the corridor until there is a Elevator to your right.
- Go up the Elevator.
- Go through the corridor on the right side.
- Follow the corridor to a platform with a Floorplate.
- Press the Floorplate and drop to the floor below.
- Jump on the Moving Platforms on the Water to get to the opposite side.
- Collect the Silver Key at the end.
- Return to the Water and go through the doorway in the middle of the room.
- Follow the corridor until you reach the Elevator near the start.
- Go up the Elevator, but go through the corridor on the opposite side.
- Go down the ramp and turn right just past the bottom.
- Follow the corridor to the Silver Door.
- Open the Silver Door and go through it.
Collect a 100 Health and head up the corridor. Collect the Shells and Double-Barrelled Shotgun at the corner, then turn right to a Fiend. Enter the next room, the center room of the map. Kill the Scrag to the right, and collect the Shells and 25 Health on the right wall. To the left at the end are staircases. In the middle of the staircases is a doorway to the left, ignore the doorway for the time being. Cross the staircases and head to the opposite side of the central room. Collect 2 Nails and 15 Health on the right wall. Turn left and collect the Shells on the right wall. A Window also is to the right, with 2 Knights by the Window, one on each side. At the end and to the left is the doorway entering this room that you entered previously. To the left of the Window is a doorway. Shoot the sign above the doorway to open the Window (#1). Go through the doorway and collect the Grenade Launcher. Kill the Knight to the left, and collect the 2 Shells, one on each side of the room. Step into the Water to reheal, as it is a Healing Pool (#2). Take the right doorway and collect the Shells. Turn left and kill the 2 Knights. Enter the doorway to the right and kill the 2 Knights, one on each side of the staircase. Collect the 2 Nails, one on each side of the staircase, and go up the staircase. Collect the Nails by a doorway to the right, but ignore the door for the time being. Kill the Fiend patrolling the platform of the room straight ahead, and enter the room. At the staircase intersection, take the left staircase to collect Shells and 25 Health at a dead end.
Return to the intersection and take the right staircase to collect Shells. Turn back around, and take the doorway in the northeast corner of the room to a Fiend. Collect a 25 Health, and head to the opposite side of the wall in the middle of the room. Collect a 25 Health and a Biosuit on the opposite side, as well as Nails in the doorway on the opposite side of this small corridor from the center wall. Dive into the Water in the next room and kill the 5 Rotfish. Collect 2 Nails and two 25 Health, one on each side from the doorway in the Water. Kill the 4 Scrags, two on each platform from the start. The right platform is too high to access at this time, but to the left of the platform is a small platform that can be jumped on. Jump again to reach a platform in between the other platforms. Turn left and follow the platform to a Super Nailgun. As you continue on the platform, the Wall to the right opens; revealing a Fiend, 2 Nails, and 100 Health. To the left of the end of the central platform is a Moving Platform sliding in and out from under the central, allowing the player to jump across to the left platform from the entrance. The left platform can also be accessed from the Water, as it is lower. Collect a 25 Health to the left, and Rockets to the right below a platform that is too high to access at this time. As there is nothing more to do here for the time being, return to the corridor leading to the intersection staircase. To the left is the ignored doorway you saw earlier, enter the doorway to go up an Elevator. The Elevator leads to the second floor of the central room. Drop back down the Elevator and drop into the hole underneath the Elevator to find a corridor. Kill the Knight and follow the corridor to a small alcove underneath the staircase intersection, which you may press a Floorplate in to open a Section of the left staircase (#3).
Return to the top of the Elevator leading to the second floor of the central room, and collect the Nails to the right at the top. Kill the 2 Death Knights that patrol this room. Turn right and follow the corridor to Nails and 15 Health, then turn left. Collect a 25 Health in this corridor, ignore the doorway to the right, and turn left at the end. Kill the 2 Fiends in this corridor and a Door opens to the right, ignore it for the time being and collect Shells and 15 Health. Turn left at the end and collect Green Armor in the next corridor. Turning left at the end returns you to the start. Return to the Door opened by killing the Fiends and go through it. Kill the Scrag and enter the doorway across the bridge. Collect the Shells and go down the ramp to the right. Turn right at the end and kill the Scrag patrolling the next corridor. Collect a 25 Health and turn right into the corridor below the bridge you were just on, ignoring the doorway straight ahead. Collect the Rockets to the left and Nails to the right as you cross the corridor to the doorway on the opposite side. Once through, kill the Shambler and head to the opposite side of the central wall and go through the doorway on the other side. Collect the Green Armor by the Silver Door. Return to the last ignored doorway and go through. Kill the Knight and collect the Shells, Green Armor, Nails, and 25 Health in the corridor. At the end, go down the stairs and through the doorway to the right. As you walk down the corridor, the Walls to the left and right open, revealing 2 Fiends, one on each side. Collect the Nails to the left, and a 15 Health to the right, then continue down the corridor. Collect the Nails and turn left at the end. The doorway at the end was the ignored doorway from the first floor of the central room below the stairs. Return to the right corridor doorway of the second floor of the central room and go through it. This bridge overlooks the corridor perpendicular to the corridor leading to the Silver Door. Collect the Shells on the opposite side, and collect more Shells through the doorway. The left corridor is a dead end, so go down the right corridor.
Kill the Scrag patrolling the corridor. Collect a 15 Health partially down the corridor beside a doorway to the left, which is a small alcove with a Fiend, Nailgun, and Shells. When the Fiend dies a Scrag spawns in the corridor. Collect the Nails at the end of the corridor. Collect the Shells to the left by the dead end. The left Wall and right Wall lowers as you walk near them. The left Wall lowers for a certain amount of time before rising again, which at the top allows you to drop into a hidden room (#4). Return and follow the right corridor. Collect a 25 Health by a doorway to the left with a Fiend and Nails. Collect the Shells at the end, and kill the Scrag to the right next to the Guillotine. Wait for the Guillotine to lower, and as it raises run through it quickly. On the other side of the Guillotine collect the Grenade Launcher. Turn right to the platform on the left side from the Water room that was too high to access before overlooking the accessible left side Water room platform. Collect the Ring of Shadows and press the Floorplate to allow the Moving Platform on the Water on the right side to start its motion from the central platform like on the left side. Return to the central platform by the use of the Moving Platforms, and jump across to the left platform by the use of the left Moving Platform. Once on the other side collect the 25 Health, Shells, 15 Health, Silver Key, and Pentagram of Protection. Drop a Grenade in the hole found underneath a Teleporter nearby to Grenade Jump into the Teleporter (#5). Return to the Silver Door and go through it to find the Arch.
Differences from Easy to Normal
- Knight to right of Healing Pool
- 2nd Fiend patrols staircase intersection
- No Biosuit by entrance to Water room
- 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th Rotfish in Water
- 3rd and 4th Death Knight patrol second floor of central room
- Fiend patrols Silver Door corridor
- 2 Fiends at intersection of the Silver Door corridor and the corridor perpendicular
- Fiend on bridge overlooking corridor perpendicular to Silver Door corridor
- 2 Death Knights after entrance to Silver Door room, one to left and one to right
- Death Knight in corridor perpendicular to Silver Door corridor
- Fiend to left of entrance to corridors leading to Guillotine
- 2 Knights behind right Wall of corridor leading to (#4)
- 2 Fiends spawn when crossing through Guillotine
- Fiend to left of platform with Silver Key
Differences from Normal to Hard/Nightmare
- Scrag patrolling opposite side of central room from start
- Shells in doorway to Healing Pool
- Fiend at top of ramp of corridor leading to staircase intersection
- Shambler replaces Fiend in room before Water room
- 3rd and 4th Scrag on platform with Silver Key
- 2nd and 3rd Fiend behind Wall of central platform in Water room
- 2 Fiends on right side of second floor of central room
- 2 Fiends on right side of second floor of central room
- Fiend in corridor leading to the intersection of the Silver Door corridor and the corridor perpendicular
- Shambler in Silver Door corridor
- 2nd Scrag in Silver Door corridor
- Shambler spawns in room before Silver Door room when in the Silver Door room
- 2nd Knight in corridor perpendicular to Silver Door corridor
- Shambler replaces Fiend on bridge overlooking corridor perpendicular to Silver Door corridor
- 2 Knights on Wall to (#4)
- 3rd and 4th Fiends spawn when crossing through Guillotine
|(#1)||Shoot the sign above the doorway to the pool of Water to open the Window to the left on the opposite wall. Kill the Fiend and collect the Nails and Pentagram of Protection.|
|(#2)||Step into the Healing Pool in the Water room to pick up seven 25 Health.|
|(#3)||Drop below the Elevator leading to the second floor of the central room, kill the Knight, and follow the corridor to an alcove below the staircase intersection. Collect the Red Armor, and press the Floorplate to open a Section of the left staircase to exit the alcove.|
|(#4)||At the opposite end of the corridor before the Guillotine is a Wall that lowers as you walk near it on the left side. Step on the Wall and let it raise, allowing you at the top to drop into another room with a Quad Damage and a Teleporter leading to the corridor just past the Guillotine.|
|(#5)||Grenade Jump into the Teleporter nearby the Silver Key by placing a Grenade in the hole located underneath the Teleporter. Collect a 25 Health and the Ring of Shadows, then drop to the floor to return to the doorway to the Silver Door.|
|Rotfish||5 (10)||9 (18)||9 (18)||The vanilla engine counts each Rotfish as 2 enemies.|
|Total||38 (43)||59 (68)||78 (87)|
- The player can Grenade Jump to any platform from another in the Water room.
- If the player alerts the Rotfish before leaving the Water and heading elsewhere on Normal and higher Difficulties, there is a possibility that a Rotfish will disappear (and usually appear elsewhere in the level, such as within one of the walls). This likely is related to the Moving Platforms in the nearby vicinity, which can also result in a Rotfish dying. To prevent this glitch from occurring, the Rotfish must simply be killed when first alerted.
- No 100 Health in starting room
- Grenade Launcher in (#1)
- Cells in right room from staircase intersection
- Return of Biosuit by entrance to Water room
- Thunderbolt and 3 Cells in Water room
- Rockets to left of entrance in Water room
- Ring of Shadows behind Wall of central platform in Water room
- Cells on left platform of Water room
- Thunderbolt in (#3)
- Nailgun on starting side of second floor of central room
- Quad Damage and Nailgun on right side of second floor of central room
- Grenade Launcher and Double-Barrelled Shotgun on starting side of second floor of central room
- Thunderbolt on bridge overlooking silver doorway corridor
- Cells in silver doorway corridor
- Door in silver doorway corridor
- Nails and Rocket Launcher in doorway to silver doorway
- Super Nailgun in silver doorway room
- 2nd Nails and Ring of Shadows in corridor perpendicular to silver doorway corridor
- Double-Barrelled Shotgun in corridor of opening Walls
- Nailgun in first corridor leading to Guillotine
- Rocket Launcher on platform overlooking left platform of Water room
- Cells on right platform of Water room
- Silver doorway room
- Top of ramp of corridor leading to staircase intersection
- First alcove of corridor leading to Guillotine
- Corridor perpendicular to silver doorway corridor
- Healing Pool room
- Room before Water room
- Starting room
|E4M3: The Elder God Shrine||Quake Levels||E4M5: Hell's Atrium|