|Machine Gun Guard (Q4)|
In Quake 4, a Machine Gun Guard is a Guard that has a Machine Gun for a right hand. The gun appears to be based off the regular Machine Gun, as a magazine from a regular one can be seen on the right hand. Like all Guards, the Machine Gun Guard defends areas that don't need protection by powerful Strogg.
Machine Gun Guards appear in the first level and appear in almost all of the levels in the game.
Besides firing its machine gun at you normally, it can also sweep its machine gun left and right while firing, hosing down the entire room (albeit rather inaccurately). Fortunately, its accuracy is rather poor, especially at long range.
- Despite being weak, the Machine Gun Guard can inflict a decent amount of damage if you're close to it. Try to get away from it if you see it, then attack.
- Any weapon works against it, but the Machine Gun should be used to conserve ammo for stronger weapons. Shotgun is good if they come close.
- A group of Machine Gun Guards can be quite powerful, so try to destroy them as soon as you can. Explosives can take out most of a group in one hit.
- With other enemies, the Machine Gun Guard is cannon-fodder. It will merely distract you while you attack stronger targets, so try to get rid of it as soon as you can.
- When flyers are destroyed, the corpse of a Guard will fall out. This shows that Guards have both infantry and aviation roles.