|Will gib when health is||
|“||The Parasite makes Cujo look like Lassie on Prozac.||”|
—Quake 2 Manual
In Quake 2, a Parasite is a four-legged cyborg with a human head. To attack, it launches an organic tube at you and drains your health. The Parasite can be knocked over from an attack, but the tube won't detach from you until it's done draining your health points or it's dead.
- Alone, a Parasite can be annoying to fight. Its drain attack can take off up to 25 health points before it's done, so it'll hurt. The only way to stop making it drain your health is make it so that it can't see you. Hiding behind something works, but the Parasite will follow you. When you hide, be ready for it to pop up and open fire when it does.
- Another way to avoid the Parasite's attack is to jump on top of it. Getting onto a higher vertical plane than the Parasite also works. It is uncertain whether this strategy is intended or is a glitch.
- With other Enemies, the Parasite is a real pain to deal with. The constant damage makes it difficult for you to see what else is attacking you. Getting out of its view can be difficult as well, due to the enemies around you. Try to target it with explosives. Two explosives will kill it, and the splash damage will harm the other enemies.
- Parasite's description from the game's manual directly refers to Cujo, a dangerous rabid St. Bernard dog from Stephen King's 1981 novel and the 1983 film of the same name.
- When idle, Parasites continuously tap the ground with their hind leg's toes (akin to raptors from Jurassic Park franchise, who are often portrayed tapping the ground with their sickle claws), producing distinctive sound that warns of their presence in vicinity.
- Parasite has an unused animation for trying take the leech that has stuck in a wall.
- When Parasite spots the player, they will hissing somebody like a breathing chameleon.
- When Parasite is idle it may sometimes scratch its neck with its left leg, like a real dog.
Death Message Edit
- Player exsanguinated by a Parasite
|The Parasite spotting an opponent|
|The Parasite being injured|
|The Parasite being killed|
|Organization||Terran Coalition of Man · Strogg|
|Characters||Bitterman · Viper · Willits|
|Expansions||The Reckoning · Ground Zero|
|Enemies||Light Guard · Machine Gun Guard · Shotgun Guard · Barracuda Shark · Enforcer · Berserker · Gunner · Flyer · Parasite · Mutant · Brains · Medic · Icarus · Technician · Gladiator · Iron Maiden · Arachnid · Tank · Tank Commander|
|Bosses||Super Tank · Hornet · Guardian · Jorg · Makron|
|Weapons||Blaster · Shotgun · Super Shotgun · Machine Gun · Chain Gun · Grenade · Grenade Launcher · Rocket Launcher · Railgun · Hyperblaster · BFG10k|
|Ammo||Bullets · Shells · Grenades · Rockets · Slugs · Cells|
Armor (Armor Shard · Jacket Armor · Combat Armor · Body Armor · Energy Armor) · Health (Stimpack · Medikit · Megahealth · Adrenaline) · Ammo Pack · Bandolier · Enviro-Suit · Invulnerability · Key · Quad Damage · Rebreather · Silencer