Qtest was intended as a tech demo, but the community was quick to start modifying the files, resulting in numerous files made for the program. Due to the differences between the two programs, these files are entirely incompatible with Quake itself.
While Qtest was entirely intended to be a Deathmatch test, id Software accidentally included the Monster files. Various tools and levels were created to incorporate them into the game. This led to a highly publicized and talked about showcase of the creatures before Quake was released.
There appears to be a lack of communication with which Monsters were able to be used, resulting in contradictions like the Fiend being assumed to be unable to be used. This in turn means that some model files were designed with the wireframe for a different opponent than the one that it replaces. Note that doing this results in constant errors if the Monster is killed.
|2/26/1996||TEST1M||TEST1||Adds some Ogres, Knights, and Scrags to the level.||Mediafire|
|2/29/1996||ARMY HELL||TEST2||Adds eight Grunts to the level.||Mediafire|
|2/29/1996||Ogres&Wizards||TEST3||Adds some Ogres and Scrags (plus a Knight) to the level.||Mediafire|
|3/9/1996||Damage1||TEST1||Includes some additional Red Armors and other random resources.||Mediafire|
|3/30/1996||VOMIT||TEST1||Adds some Ogres, Grunts, Shamblers, and Vomitus to the level. Comes with softer detection sound than default.||Mediafire|
|6/12/1996||1EVILWAY||TEST1||Adds some Ogres, Knights, and a Scrag to the level.|
|?||DUNGEON||TEST2||Adds some Ogres, Knights, and a Shambler to the level.|
|MAP TEST1 CAMOUFLAGED SOLDIER .MDL|
- EXTRACT/UNPACK - Extracts the files from id1.pak. Necessary to modify Qtest.
- QMapHack - A series of editing utilities. DECON splits the .BSP into a collection of .TXT files, 2 .BIN files, 2 .LST files, and a bunch of .MIP files. RECON compiles it all back together. MIP2BMP takes a .MIP file and creates a .BMP file from it; there is no converter to restore it to .MIP.
- QUAKE TEST-1 LAUNCHER - A front-end for Qtest, gives the player the ability to change settings, requires Windows 95.
- Quake (Test1) Monster Patcher - Replaces the Double-Barrelled Shotgun in TEST1 with a Rotfish, Scrag, Dragon, Knight, Ogre, or Fiend (depending on user specification).
- Quake Dialer/Terminal! - Sets up Qtest settings, as well as phone settings, to make a COM1 connection.
- QuakeLoader/ModemOnly version - Allows the player the ability to play with others through COM ports.
- QUAKEMON - Used to import monsters into the QTEST levels. Requires Windows 95.
- SIRQUAKE - Sets up a COM port connection to play through the modem.