Quake was released on March 24, 1998 by Midway Games for the Nintendo 64. Also known as Quake 64.
- There is no Welcome to Quake, rather the difficulty is selected via the main screen.
- Split screen deathmatch for two players, but suffers heavy frame rate drops.
- HUD is not a big box; it only shows Armor, Ammo, and Health.
- Weapon crosshairs
- Different music composed by Aubrey Hodges, but same style (ambient). See Quake 64 Soundtrack for the samples.
- No Cooperative multiplayer.
- Exclusive deathmatch level: The Court of Death
- It is missing the following levels: E1M4: the Grisly Grotto, E2M1: the Installation, E2M4: the Ebon Fortress, E3M5: the Wind Tunnels, E4M1: the Sewage System and E4M5: Hell's Atrium.
- The player has to play through the levels in a linear order, and cannot choose a specific episode.
- Colored lighting, but the lightmaps on world surfaces are pre-rendered. Objects such as enemies, weapons etc. are dynamically lit according to the colored lighting sources. Weapons firing and other moving light sources do not light up rooms, but have a corona around them, similar to the default in GLQuake.
- Six built in configurations for keys
- 320x240 resolution
- Less detailed maps, but graphics look better than vanilla Quake. GLQuake looks better in some ways, however.
- Distortion effect in Fluids on weapons.
- Has no "NIN" (Nine Inch Nails) logo on the Nailgun ammo boxes.
- The Nailgun and the Thunderbolt use different sound effects when they fire.
- Lacks the Dopefish!
- Extra secrets to compensate the missing levels.
- Death messages in single player are in second person, and show up on the center of the screen.
- Map names are displayed on the center of the screen at the start of each level.
Level Changes (Going by Hard/Nightmare Difficulty) Edit
MAP 1 The Slipgate Complex Edit
- (#5) is removed and the Grunt is on railing
MAP 2 Castle of the Damned Edit
- No Strogg Crates in starting room
- No Wall in Water leading to (#1)
MAP 3 The Necropolis Edit
- Since there is no E1M4 in this version, the secret exit for Ziggurat Vertigo will be located in (#3)
- in the exit room there are no pillars to protect you from Shambler
MAP 7 Ziggurat Vertigo Edit
- In the pyramid square room there is no cubbie hole with 100 Health
MAP 4 Gloom Keep Edit
- There is no arch covering the Fiend on top of the first building, so he will probably be ready to attack you
MAP 5 The Door to Chthon Edit
- When you pick up the Silver Key, there is no message saying "Your way has been lit"
- The Zombies that drop near the Button in the Silver Door room, will already be in the room before you push the button
MAP 6 The House of Chthon Edit
- 8 Shamblers will explode instead of 8 Zombies when you finish the level
MAP 8 The Ogre Citadel Edit
- You now start in the outside area in front of the 2 Buttons and there will be no Knights on the platform
MAP 9 The Crypt of Decay Edit
- All of the Rotfish are replaced with Zombies
- The Fiend is replaced with a Death Knight
MAP 12 The Underearth Edit
- In the Easter Egg room their is no initials and there is a Grenade Launcher and a Quad Damage